Friday, November 5, 2010

Remembrance Day

Posted by Micah at 7:00 AM
Remembrance Day is fast approaching and I wanted to make a card. I would love to make it out to a Remembrance Day ceremony here in Calgary this year, if so I'll be making a page for my scrapbook that includes this handcrafted poppy.

I'm sorry, I'm still using my iphone for pictures (though there's progress in data recovery and repair of my camera. There is hope!). The poppy is punched (large heart from Stampin' Up) from Cranberry cardstock distressed and then reinked with cranberry ink. The effect is to give it a bit of dimension without the stark white look of distressing white core cardstock. I'm quite happy with it (even if it doesn't show well in these pictures!)

The center is a green flower with "brass" brad. It reminds me of the poppies we wear in the beginning of November before they were changed to have black centers. (Edit to add: We wear black centered poppies in the years that service people have died in the line of duty. I miss the green centered poppies that meant none of our service people had died.)

The background paper is a piece of left over Mistletoe topped with a piece of cocoa cardstock that got the same treatment as the petals (distressing and reinking) to make it look leatherish. It makes me think of an old flight jacket I use to wear.

The sentiment is from Captured Moments. The only other stamp set I had with potentially appropriate sentiments was Picture Perfect and I really didn't think "Unforgettable" suited this card. If I had a tiny letter alphabet I might do, "I Remember" instead.

I'll leave you with a video by Terry Kelly. I watch it every year (usually several times) and it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

My family Remembers. Thank you.

For the story behind this video, people visit Terry-Kelly.com

6 comments:

Melissa said...

This is beautiful! What a lovely rememberance day tribute.

Kathy and Lucky said...

Great card, love how you made the flower, I have not seen that one done yet with the heart. have a great weekend.

Anne Marie Hile said...

Hi Ruth! What a beautiful card! Thanks for sharing the technique, I really want to try it out. I hope everything works out with your camera. :(

MiamiKel said...

Oh that video has me teary eyed! Just such an important and special message, God bless our veterans!
Lovely card! The poppy is beautiful!

KER said...

beautiful card...the flower is awesome

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful card idea. Every year my Sparks, Brownies, and Guides make something for the Vetrans of our community Legion (we live in the country and not much around here). About 3-4 years ago we made something similar to your poppy with cut out hearts (but only one layer of hearts) and then added a pin to pin on a coat or shirt. The kids had fun and then the girls got to present them to the Vetrans all lined up (after the normal ceremony) and each Vetran got one---they were absolutely tickled pink (almost all of them are men). They were very pleased to know that we had taken the time to make something so special for them.

So with your idea I may try that heart/poppy thing again but put it on a card (won't be as fancy as yours tho) and see what other ideas the girls can come up with. We are making them Nov 9-so I better get at it.
Again thanks
Char

 

Stamp Off, Eh! Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | web hosting